Welcome to the computer science and social good course! The goal of this course is to use computer science tools to tackle real world projects in a productive fashion. It has been said that when you have a hammer, everything seems like a nail. This is certainly true of technology. We will explore how to identify true nails, given technological hammer.
Technological Focus|Class Structure|Class Schedule
Each quarter this course is taught, we pick a particular hammer to focus on. This quarter’s hammer is 3D printing. In addition to learning about real world problems suited to this technology, you will learn about 3D printing by assembling your own printer from a kit (which you will have to purchase from us, along with other supplies), and then using it for a self defined project inspired by organizations such as the e-Nable community, which 3D prints prosthetic hands for kids.
‘Lectures’ will be of two types. We will discuss readings and background material in Case Study lectures (led by student discussants, or guest lecturers). We will use Practicum lectures days to work on projects in class (such as assembling your 3D printer), or practice skills (such as interviewing each other) or report back on group projects). About half of the classes will be of each type.
Contact me at: jmankoff [at] cs.washington.edu, and your classmates at make4a11 [at] cs.washington.edu. Office hours will be: Mondays after class.
Grading: At the end of the quarter, you will be asked to summarize your participation in the class (lectures attended, papers read, discussions led, speaking up in class, etc). This will determine your participation grade (20%). Homeworks will make up the other 80% of the grade.
Expectations: Participation is expected, and you will get out of this course what you put into it. In addition, getting help from me and from your fellow students is encouraged, particularly when assembling your printer! Please come to office hours, post to the class mailing list, schedule joint work times, or do anything else that will help. Getting someone else to do the work for you is not encouraged, it is cheating (see the UW policy and expectations around this). Come see me if you are stuck, or unsure what help is ok. My goal is for every student in this course to succeed!
Special needs and circumstances: If you have any special needs, or a situation arises that is affecting your course work, please feel free to bring these things to my attention so that we can work together to find the best solution for you.
The course will cover a selection of the following topics, possibly in this order (everything is currently tentative).
Week 1: Course overview
- 9/27 Week 1: Why are we here?
Week 2: Case study & Practicum on qualitative research
- 10/2 Case Study [3 volunteer discussants]: 3D Printed Prosthetics
- 10/4 Practicum: Qualitative Research & Exercise
Week 3: Case Study & Practicum (hopefully start of assembly)
- 10/9 Case Study: 3D printing in the developing world
- 10/11 Practicum: Fusion 360 & Mold Making (Demo)
- Optional Micro-assignment: Make a mold
Week 4: Practicum: Printer Assembly & Guest Lecture
- 10/16 Practicum: Start to… Assemble your Alunar Printer!!!
- 10/18 Guest lecture (Anat Caspi on 3D printing and introduction to accessibility).
Week 5: Printer Assembly & 3D Printing for Health
- 10/23 Practicum: Printer Basics & some hints on calibration
- Slides: Printer Calibration
- More details on the software stack if you want the PL perspective: Programming Language Tools and Techniques for 3D Printing Chandrakana Nandi, Anat Caspi, Dan Grossman, and Zachary Tatlock
- 10/25 Case Study: 3D printing for health
Week 6: Printer Operation & Case Study: Materials
- 10/30 Printer Assembly, more information on calibration & setup (Slides: Printer Operation)
- 11/1 Case Study: Printing with a range of materials.
- Proof of working printer due (turn in on Canvas)
- Discussion of final projects
- 11/3: Learning Goals assignment due
- 11/6 Case Study:Meta Materials
- 11/8 Final Project Proposal Presentations
- 11/13 Case Study: 3D printing in education
- 11/15 Project group meetings
- 11/20 Guest Lecture by Jon Froehlich: 3D printing interactive objects (includes example of optimization-based design)
- 11/22 [no class]
- 11/27 Project Group Meetings
- 11/29 Case Study: 3D printing and sustainability
- 12/4 Case Study: Rapid Prototyping
- 12/5 Project Group Meetings
Final project presentations: Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2:30-4:20 PM.
Still TBD. Topics under consideration:
- Stakeholder-centered design and prototyping
- Introductory material on Accessibility (Disability in the Digital Age, Ch. 5 of Horst, Heather A., and Daniel Miller, eds. Digital anthropology. A&C Black, 2013.; In My Language, Anne Bragg)
- Humanitarian Engineering
- Discussion of 3D printing New materials & uses
3D printing principles & introduction
3D printing kit assembly
3D printing calibration and operation
- Further assignments
- 3D printing and audio