- Forbes article on 3D printing competition and Chapter 4 of Birtchnell, Thomas and William Hoyle. 3D Printing for Development in the Global South: The 3D4D Challenge., p. 67-79 (optional: skim Chapters 1-5 of the same book to get a deeper picture of the challenges and opportunities here).
- WALDMAN-BROWN, A. N. N. A., JULIET WANYIRI, SIMEON OLUWAFUN MILORE ADEBOLA, T. CHEGE, and MARIAN MUTHUI. “Democratizing technology: the confluence of makers and grassroot innovators.” In Third International Conference on Creativity and Innovations at/for/from/with grassroots-ICCIG. No prelo. 2016.
There is so much more on this topic! Some of the readings I set aside (possibly for a second case study later this quarter) include:
- Not enough space:
- Stickel, Oliver, Dominik Hornung, Konstantin Aal, Markus Rohde, and Volker Wulf. “3D Printing with marginalized children—an exploration in a Palestinian refugee camp.” In ECSCW 2015: Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 19-23 September 2015, Oslo, Norway, pp. 83-102. Springer, Cham, 2015.
- Jeong, Youngchan, Sumi Kim, and Joongseek Lee. “A Design Process based on Field Research: An Adjustable Desk for Children in Rural India.”
- Not quite about 3D printing:
- Sabie, Samar, Maha Salman, and Steve Easterbrook. “Situating shelter design and provision in ICT discourse for scarce-resource contexts.” In Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Computing within Limits, p. 15. ACM, 2016.
- Omeni, Okundu, Alan Chi Wai Wong, Alison J. Burdett, and Christofer Toumazou. “Energy efficient medium access protocol for wireless medical body area sensor networks.” IEEE Transactions on biomedical circuits and systems 2, no. 4 (2008): 251-259.
- Halabi, Ammar, Amalia G. Sabiescu, S. David, Sara Vannini, and David Nemer. “From learning to designing action: Uncovering obscure processes in participatory community-based research.” In CIRN 2014 Community Informatics Conference: Challenges and Solutions. 2014.
- Williams, Amanda, Silvia Lindtner, Ken Anderson, and Paul Dourish. “Multisited design: An analytical lens for Transnational HCI.” Human–Computer Interaction 29, no. 1 (2014): 78-108.
- Bahadur, Aditya, and Julian Doczi. “Unlocking resilience through autonomous innovation.” London: Overseas Development Institute (2016).
- Halabi, Ammar, Amalia Sabiescu, Salomão David, Sara Vannini, and David Nemer. “From Exploration to Design: Aligning Intentionality in Community Informatics Projects.” The Journal of Community Informatics 11, no. 3 (2015).
- Kalantzis-Cope, P., & Gherab-Martin, K. (Eds.). (2010). Emerging digital spaces in contemporary society: properties of technology. Springer.